July 18, 2010

Ode to Goats


We own goats. There I said it. Or typed it. Out loud. A city girl who loves to dress up, wear heels and sip wine, has a goat pen. I relish the fact that I can have animals here. I never knew just how much fun goats could be as pets. I always pictured them as dirty, useless, sort of creepy animals. But they are such the opposite - that false impression was before I had ever even met a goat.
They happen to be some of the sweetest, most intelligent, extremely communicative (aka LOUD), social and playful animals I've ever seen. Lately our youngest Nigerian Dwarf goat Hannah has been finding it fun to jump up onto our patio table. It doesn't occur to her that she is not supposed to be up there, it is a natural game to her. She stands up there, proud as can be and announces to the world that she's made it to the top! I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know both of our goats through their silly goat antics. (Yes, I caved and bought another, 'goat for our goat' and thus we have: Georgia Rose). Hannah (aka Hannah Honey Moonshine, which is her given name) is the loudest. She voices her greetings, dismay, boredom, fear, pleasure by a long baying or bleating sound. She has one tiny horn that is trying to grow. She was de-horned and it didn't take. I think she will be my unicorn.
Georgia is more quiet and reserved. Georgia still has her horns and is a little more shy - she makes almost a snorting pig sound (no joke!).

Channeling my inner farm girl, I have become quite talented in baying and bleating back to them in true goat style. The other day, I noticed that many of my potted plants in the yard were dying and I became concerned. And then I noticed on a few later trips outside more and more goat droppings and then little sticks in pots that were once strawberry plants, luscious grapevines, berry bushes - oh yes - my lovely, helpful goats have not been paying particular attention to the yard work they were intended to pursue here on the property....no, they are interested in the tastier greens and delectable vines they find all around the concreted parts of the house! I will have to tell them in my best bleating goat voice tomorrow: PlEaSe StAAAAy AwAAAAy FroMm MyyYyy PlAAAnts!!!! You have your own yard for goat's sake!

No comments:

Six years later…

Well well well… time has a way of changing things… but the more things change, the more they stay the same … isn’t that how the saying goes?...