July 29, 2010

Dog Eat Dog World

The sun's rays twinkled through the pine and the coolness of the morning lay out before me as I walked down our road with Murray, our English Mastiff. He has become my workout partner lately. I know if I am late or being lazy, he grumbles outside on our deck in an effort to wake me up and get me out there.

Mornings are so beautiful here in the foothills. This sacred time of day which is solely mine, before the girls are awake; before the day takes over and the 'do this - do that' mayhem ensues. Today, Claire, our Italian Greyhound decided to leave the warmth of her bed to join us. My gentle giant and elegant hound. I typically do a loop down our road and I get at least one good hill to climb if I take a side road and then I turn around and head back. The whole walk is about 20 minutes. I can stretch it to 30 but this morning I was just looking for a brisk escape. I especially love the downhill parts of the main road when I feel like my brain is still half asleep. I can walk on autopilot and not worry about anything. Like today.

We had a good pace going as we made it down the road and were just coming to where it flattens out and becomes a couple neighbor's adjoining pastures and properties when I heard a loud scream, "Pick up your dog! Pick up your dog! Pick up your dog!" I jumped back and grabbed at Claire, trying to get her up into my arms. In no quicker than a blink my neighbor's German Shepherd was upon us barking, growling and snarling. She started attacking Murray and biting him! Barking and baying ensued. All the while I shuffled around the mayhem trying to yell at her to leave him alone. Claire huddled in the safety of my arms. The shepherd's entourage was there as well, two chihuahuas who egged her on. She was their hero; attacking a dog Murray's size was the stuff their dreams are made of.

My neighbor finally made it down her pasture and onto the road. Her dog did not listen to her calls and would not ease up. In attack mode; she kept reaching in and taking bites at Murray's rear. Finally after one final swoop my neighbor was able to get her dog by its collar and I led my dogs away from the scene for an injury check. She asked if they were all right. I answered I guess so. It was all so sudden and parts of the incident seemed like they played out in slow motion. Murray, God bless him, was so sweet through it all. He barked, winced and scowled but only wanted her to leave him alone, he never once got a bite in. He gnashed his terrible teeth a few times. But I'm convinced now he's a lover not a fighter. I won't tell him he had his butt handed to him by a girl.

No comments:

Six years later…

Well well well… time has a way of changing things… but the more things change, the more they stay the same … isn’t that how the saying goes?...